GIRLS ADVISORY BOARD
GAB provides high-school girls living in Chester County with the opportunity to learn about the deep and varied needs in their communities while engaging in strategic grant-making. Through GAB, CCFWG aims to educate a new generation of young women about the importance of philanthropy, community service, and the positive difference each girl can make on the lives of others.
The Girls Advisory Board
- Is responsible for over 70 grants, totaling close to $224,000 awarded to area nonprofits serving girls in Chester County!
- Was the co-host of the first national Girls Grant-making Conference in which more than thirty high-school girls from across the country, including our own GAB girls, taught us and each other how they identify and implement change through grant-making in their communities.
- Brings together girls from 27 different public, private and parochial schools. Nearly every high school in Chester County has been represented on GAB since the program’s inception.
- Was awarded the 2007 “Outstanding Youth in Philanthropy” Award by the Association of Fundraising Professionals, Greater Philadelphia Chapter.
- GAB is part of the Girls Grant-making Network, an international network of women’s funds with girls’ grant-making programs. Within this network, GAB members serve as advisers to similar programs around the world.
The 2017 GAB grant recipients are:
- Community Volunteers in Medicine $2,500 for an access to reproductive health program for uninsured women and their families living in or near poverty
- Domestic Violence Center of Chester County $2,500 to support its Emergency Safe House for female victims of domestic violence
- La Comunidad Hispana $5,000 for a women’s reproductive health program for low-income residents of Southern Chester County
- Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania $5,000 for a safety program for domestic abuse victims
- Mom’s House of Greater Philadelphia $5,000 for free childcare for low-income single parents who are also full-time students
In the news
Check out the recent interview that CCFWG Executive Director Michelle Legaspi Sanchez and GAB girls Emory and Bess sat down for with Dave Heller of WHYY’s NewsworksTonight! They spoke about the power of girls grantmaking and giving back to their communities.
Three of our second-year GAB girls were interviewed by Generocity.com, a social impact publication in Philadelphia, about the power of consensus and collaboration in fostering change.
GAB girls explore the impact of DACA in Chester County
The GAB Class of 2017 sat down with Kennett Square native and former GAB girl Anel Medina to talk about the importance of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program in her life and the lives of many other DACA recipients in Chester County. Through this video, the girls hope to bring more awareness to DACA and show how changes to the program will impact Anel and young people like her living in our communities.